Is Focused Training Available for Fall Protection Equipment?
A fall prevention program is one of the primary systems which should be put in place by an employer for all employees working at heights. When workers are furnished with Les Équipements JPB’s fall protection equipment, you are able to control and reduce the risk of injury and potential fatality.
For construction workers working at heights, falls are the leading cause of workplace fatalities. In Canada alone, falls of all kinds account for more than 40,000 injuries to workers annually, according to OHS Canada Magazine. Many of these injuries are the result of falling from ladders, scaffolds, roofs, and other elevations. In addition to causing pain and suffering, falls lead to economic losses due to “lost-time injuries.” In the worst cases, falls claim lives.
How important is fall protection equipment?
Fall protection equipment consists of several devices designed to prevent, restrain, or arrest falls. According to all provincial and territorial occupational health and safety legislative statutes in effect across Canada, employers are required to implement a fall prevention program (also called a fall protection plan by the CCOHS) for the purpose of mitigating the risk of falling when working at heights. Therefore, when a construction worker is exposed to a fall hazard at a height greater than 3 metres, the employer must install fall protection equipment to prevent any falls.
Types of fall protection equipment
The type of fall protection equipment to be used depends on the nature of the work and the constraints of the workplace environment. In addition, certain devices are designed to be used in conjunction with each other as part of an overall fall protection program. Les Équipements JPB offers a full range of fall protection equipment for construction workers.
- Horizontal rigid rail and trolley. Fall restraint and arrest system that offers mobility by allowing for smooth, continuous movement as the 16-wheel trolley slides along the track of a rigid rail of any length. Used in conjunction with a safety harness attached to a lifeline.
- Rigid rail on elevated work platforms. Horizontal rigid rail and trolley system adapted to fit elevated work platforms. Customized to your context. Used in conjunction with a safety harness attached to a lifeline.
- Lifelines. Ensures continuous protection against falls for workers operating in elevated environments such as rooftops. Used in conjunction with a safety harness and an appropriate anchoring system.
- Rooftop freestanding guardrails. Self-supporting modular guardrails that are easily installed at the edge of a rooftop to protect workers against falls from a height.
- Roof anchors. Compact mechanical anchoring system with integrated energy absorption. Compatible with all types of modern rooftops, these anchors protect the integrity of roof panels.
- Safety/debris netting. Creates a protective barrier against falling objects by catching them and reducing their velocity.
- Proof load testing for anchor systems. To certify the safety of your fall protection equipment, our load testing equipment can perform tests up to 30 kN on lifeline system crimping and up to 145 kN on mechanical or chemical anchors and fasteners.
- Full-body safety harness. Personal protection equipment designed to stop workers mid-fall and prevent them from hitting the surface below as part of a fall arrest system.
How important is training in the use of fall protection equipment?
Fall protection equipment must be properly installed, implemented, and maintained for construction workers to feel safe and avoid risking injury or, worse, death. Additionally, employees need to be adequately trained in the proper use of the equipment to receive the full benefits of fall protection from Les Équipements JPB’s products. Inadequately or improperly trained employees are at almost as great a risk of injury when using fall protection equipment as when there is no fall prevention program were in place.
Once hazards are identified and assessed as part of your fall prevention program, however, they can be controlled or even eliminated. One of the best ways to ensure the safety of workers is to provide them with training in the proper use of their fall protection equipment and to update their training on a regular basis.
For a more in-depth explanation of safety tips, see our blog on Safety Guidelines for Working at Heights.
Les Équipements JPB provides training in the use of fall protection equipment
Remember that training on the use, maintenance, and storage of fall protection equipment is included in our collective protection services for your workplace. More information about training and warranty conditions is available with a service offer.
With the expertise of Les Équipements JPB, a turnkey safety system for fall protection equipment can be set up quickly and efficiently so as to avoid any interruptions to your daily operations or productivity. Contact us today to get your personalized quote.